Recipe: Ginger Almond Berry Oatmeal
Instant oatmeal is easy enough to make, but doesn’t keep me fueled for very long, so I add almonds, chia seeds and milk powder for protein. For flavor, I add freeze-dried blueberries and raspberries and ground ginger or vanilla bean powder.
1/2 cup instant or quick oatmeal
1 tablespoon whole milk powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons organic cane sugar (vary the amount based on your preference)
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
1 tablespoon freeze-dried blueberries
- 1 tablespoon freeze-dried raspberries
For vanilla almond berry oatmeal, use 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder instead of ground ginger. For a multigrain option, use multigrain oats with rye, barley, oats and wheat instead of oats.
Combine all ingredients in a plastic bag. I use a Food Saver vacuum sealer to remove all air from the plastic bag and provide longer storage capability.
- add 1/2 cup of water to a backpacking stove
- add all ingredients to the pan
- bring to a boil
- simmer for 2 minutes, stirring often
- turn off fuel
- cover and let sit for 5 minutes
Cook in the bag method
- make sure to use a BPA-free freezer bag, not a regular plastic bag so it won’t melt
- add 1/2 cup hot water to the bag
- mix well with a spoon
- seal and let sit for 5-10 minutes