Ochoco Divide campground
The Ochoco Divide campground, located in the Central Oregon’s Ochoco Mountains, makes a good basecamp for exploring the Painted Hills.
- Set in a ponderosa pine forest at 4,700′ elevation
- Campsites are large and well-spaced for privacy
- Camp host on duty
- Group campsite is spacious and reservable
- Location: Central Oregon – Google map
- Campground info: U.S. Forest Service – Ochoco Divide campground
- Campsite cost: $13 per night (first vehicle); $8 per night (additional vehicle)
- Reservations: Individual campsites are available on a first come, first served basis. Reservations are only available for the group site.
- Season:May 15 – October 15
- Facilities: 25 tent campsites (3 are accessible); 1 group campsite
- Amenities: 4 vault toilets, picnic tables, fire pits (note: there is no water available)
- Nearby town for supplies: Prineville, OR (30 miles) – gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores; Mitchell, OR (16 miles) – small grocery store
Nearby Hiking Trails
Explore the colorful Painted Hills while camping at Ochoco Divide – it’s an easy 20 mile drive to reach the Painted Hills. While none of the trails in this area are long enough to feel like a true hike, each highlights different scenery to be found in this unique area. Driving up from 26 highway, you start to see glimpses of the unusual color patterns exposed in the surrounding hillsides, which hint at what is to come – a startling revelation of shape and color. This open, expansive area contains the largest concentration of these uniquely painted ridges and mounds.
See the “Explore the Painted Hills” post for info on hiking the trails in this area.