Backpacking Recipe: Chicken Meatballs
These chicken meatballs rehydrate well and they taste much better than using freeze-dried chicken in backpacking recipes.
(makes 24 meatballs)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all ingredients into a food processor and pulse to blend.
- Form into 24 meatballs. I like using an ice cream scoop to form the meatballs, but a large tablespoon also works for this.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut each meatball into 8 pieces and place on dehydrator trays.
- Dehydrate at 155 degrees until completely dry.
- Store in the freezer until ready to use in recipes.
To use in recipes: add 3 meatballs (24 cut pieces) to a meal with other dried ingredients. Add water and let soak for 15 minutes to rehydrate.