Redwoods National Park – Elk Prairie campground
Elk Prairie campground, located in the Prairie Creek Redwoods State & National Park near the coast in northern California, provides access to a large number of hiking trails in the redwoods.
- small campground feel
- incredible old-growth redwoods
- short drive to the coast
- Location: Northern California Coast – Google map
- Campground & park info: Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park
- Campsite cost: tent sites – $35 per night
- Reservations: available up to six months in advance at Reserve California
- Season: open all year (with partial campground closures in the winter)
- Facilities: 75 tent campsites (no hookups)
- Amenities: potable water, flushing toilets, showers, picnic tables, fire pits, bear boxes for food storage
- Nearby towns for supplies: Orick, CA (7 miles) – gas station, small market; Crescent City, CA (34 miles) – restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations
Hiking trails near the campground
With 75 miles of hiking trails at Prairie Creek Redwoods Park, there’s a trail suitable for everyone. See my trip report about hikes to Fern Canyon (shown above), Prairie Creek and Rhododendron Trails.