Sunset Bay State Park campground
The campground at Sunset Bay State Park provides access to a stunning section of the Oregon Coast, including Shore Acres and Cape Arago. Camp here and walk to scenic viewpoints via a network of coastline trails.
- Location: Oregon Coast – Google map
- Campground & park info: Sunset Bay State Park
- Campsite cost: tent sites – $19 per night; RV sites – $28-30 per night
- Reservations: available up to six months in advance at Reserve America
- Season: open all year (with partial campground closures in the winter)
- Facilities: 65 tent campsites; 65 full-hookup/electrical campsites; 8 yurts; hiker/biker camp
- Amenities: potable water, flushing toilets, showers, picnic tables, fire pits, ranger-led activities in the summer
- Nearby town for supplies: Charleston (3 miles), Coos Bay (10 miles) – gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores
Although the campground is quite nice – located in a protected forested area – the coastal scenery is the main attraction for camping at Sunset Bay. A short trail leads from the campground to a small bay with a sandy beach. Take the trails on the south side of the beach to scenic viewpoints with views of Cape Arago Lighthouse and rugged headlands with crashing waves.
Hiking trails near the campground
Next to the beach at Sunset Bay is access to the Oregon Coast Trail, which winds its way along the shoreline all the way to Cape Arago, with many side trails to scenic viewpoints.
The coastal forest is a highlight here too, with sitka spruce and shore pines mixed in with ferns and heavy thickets of salal.