Corrections to recipes in the “Memorable Backcountry Meals” cookbook
Kale & Lentil Salad
- 1/2 cup lacinato kale, dehydrated
- kale: dehydrate whole fresh leaves, then remove the stem and break into small pieces
Tomato Curry Base
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- Add turmeric powder and cardamom pods with the onions, coriander powder, chili powder and salt. Remove cardamom pods before dehydrating.
- 1/2 cup Asian-style chicken meatballs, dehydrated (see recipe on page 24)
- 3 tablespoons tomato curry base (see recipe on page 25)
- 1/2 cup basmati rice, dehydrated
- 1/4 cup cubed potatoes, dehydrated
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream powder
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, dried
- 1 tablespoon (1 packet) ghee
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- basmati rice: pre-cook and dehydrate; substitute with long grain rice if needed
- chicken meatballs: substitute with freeze-dried chicken or dehydrate canned chicken
- ghee: substitute with 1 tablespoon olive oil
- heavy cream powder: whole milk powder can be used instead, but we don’t recommend using non-fat or skim milk powder
- potatoes: cut into small cubes and boil until almost done, then dehydrate
- Mix all ingredients together and package in a plastic bag or vacuum seal. Package ghee separately.
- Bring 1-1/4 cups (10 ounces) of water to a boil.
- Add dried ingredients and ghee, Stir well to mix.
- Simmer on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, cover and let sit for 20 minutes until fully rehydrated.
- Reheat if needed.
Nutrition info: calories 694; fat 34g; cholesterol 87mg; sodium 486mg; carbohydrates 76g; protein 24g
Mango Rice Pudding
- 1/4 cup rice mixture, dehydrated (see recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk powder
- 1 tablespoon raw almonds
- 1/2 tablespoon dried mango
- 1-1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder
- almond slices: substitute finely chopped almonds
- sweet rice or glutinous rice: sometimes also labeled as short grain sticky rice
- whole milk powder: coconut milk powder can be used instead, but non-fat milk powder is not recommended
- Mix all ingredients together and package in a plastic bag or vacuum seal.
- Empty contents with 3/4 cup water (6 ounces) into a pan and bring to a boil.
- Stir constantly to avoid burning on the bottom of the pan.
- Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
PREPARING THE RICE
Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup sweet rice or glutinous rice
- 4 cups almond milk
- pinch saffron (optional)
- Bring almond milk, saffron, and rice to a simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir continuously until rice is fully cooked.
- Spread rice thinly onto dehydrator trays.
- Dehydrate at 135 degrees until completely dry, turning over partway through the drying time.
- Coarsely chop dried rice mixture in in a food processor.
Nutrition info: calories 443; fat 20g; cholesterol 28mg; sodium 186mg; carbohydrates 71g; protein 14g